The Old Town, was founded during Angevin times (1267 – 1386) when overpopulation and pressure from the Catholic overlords forced the residents of Koryfo to build outside the city walls. Thus the Historic Centre of Corfu Town was established. In this period, the first Jews arrived, banished from Spain, and settled in the ‘Ovrisvouni’ (hill of the Jews), the area now known as Campiello. Today the Old town streets are full of the atmosphere of that age, and a stroll through its labyrinth of alleyways is a priceless lesson in the understanding of the history of the island. The multi-storeyed Venetian buildings, a clear sign of urban overpopulation, were needed to house the residents within the available area of the Historic Centre.